Monday, December 2, 2013

Homemade Custom Paint Color

Today's the Homestead Barn Hop! We are so glad you decided to join us.

I don't exactly know how long ago I painted the blotchy squares of assorted colors on my kitchen wall; it was sometime over the summer, I think. Anyway, as I buzzed about thinking what I needed to do to get ready to host Thanksgiving dinner, my miss-matched wall colors stood up and said "Hey, remember us?"

Time to Paint the Wall ONE Color

Since I haven't fully worked out my paint-color scheme, I searched the clearance shelf at the hardware store for a color I could live with temporarily. What I found was a selection of
White. 
Off-white. 
Base tint for white. 
Gray. 
No colors except one really bright green that I knew I couldn't

Then it hit me:  I can try creating my own color using the various partial-cans of paint I have in the basement. Why not? It certainly won't cost me anything but time. And what's going to become of all that paint anyway? I might as well put it to use, right?

In the basement I found four kinds of interior paint--some interior, some exterior, a paint mixer, an old white plastic bucket.

Mix, mix, mix.
I need black. 

Back into the basement I go to locate that little can of black paint I bought last spring.

Drizzle. 
Mix. 
Drizzle. 
Mix again. 
Too light. 
Dump. 
Mix. 

Now, that looks like a color I can live with.


Next, I...
  • Washed the walls with a cold water-white distilled vinegar mix. 
  • Let them dry. 
  • Rolled on a coat of Glidden Gripper Gray Primer. 
  • Applied my new one-of-a-kind paint.



Voila! My previously multi-colored kitchen wall is now a deep shade of green.The new color brings out the warmth of the oak cabinets.

I love this color! In fact, I had enough paint to paint a wall in our mudroom, too.

I hope this post is an encouragement to you to take a chance with paint and try something new. Remember, if you don't like it you can change it any time. It's just paint ;)
Some people love to paint. Others don't. Which category do you fall into?

No comments:

Post a Comment