Monday, March 31, 2014

Powerfuel Morning Chia Muffins Recipe

If you tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it. I'd love to know.

I might be wrong. You'll have to judge for yourself. But, I think the secret to the goodness of this recipe is coconut oil, organic Chia seed, fresh home-grown eggs, and organic whole oats.

Photo by Sam Olson
This recipe came to me one rainy Saturday morning when I felt like making muffins, which is odd because I don't eat muffins.

I don't like them.

Why? you ask...

Because eating a typical muffin leaves me feeling not only tired, but hungry. (Tip: When I feel hungry right after eating something, that's a clue that I shouldn't eat it.) So, instead I thought I'd create a recipe that does just the opposite.

Coconut oil is the key ingredient in this recipe, so don't substitute. It's the thing that brings in flavor and moistness without creating a heavy or greasy...or  crumbly muffin. Chia seed and whole oats not only give this muffin tremendous flavor and texture, but also supply excellent sources of energy and fiber. (The Bulk Herb Store has a great article library where you can read more about the health benefits of coconut oil, Chia seed, and a lot more.)

This recipe comes together very quickly, especially you have a food processor. You'll notice I don't do a lot of measuring. The fun comes from mixing a little of this with a little of that to see what works. And this recipe works!

Mix up a batch for yourself, then please let me know what you think!

RECIPE
Preheat oven to 325 degree fahrenhiet.
Use muffin tin liners (cups) or do as I did and lightly grease your muffin tin with coconut oil.

In your food processor, (or mixer or mix by hand), pulse together (approx. 6 times):
  • 2-3 apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
  • 1 handful of raisins
  • 1 handful of shredded coconut
  • 1 tbsp organic Chia seed
  • 1 handful of walnuts (shelled, of course :/)
  • 1 scoop (about 1/4 cp) organic whole oats (from a gluten-free source)
  • 2 tsps (real) vanilla extract

Add in:
  • about 3/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup sugar (I used organic sugar)
  • 2 egg yolks (I used eggs from our Barred Rock hens)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 heaping tsps cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sea salt
 Spoon the Powerfuel Morning Chia Muffin batter, in even amounts, into your greased/lined muffin tins. Bake for approximately 12 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for "done-ness" at the 10 minute mark.

Let them cool. Eat or freeze for another day.

Bon appetit. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment