Friday, February 14, 2014

COFFEE! A Re-posting from The Prairie Homestead



Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. I love everything about coffee. It's a true gift from the Lord--especially during these cold, dark early mornings of winter when I need that "extra motivation" to get outside to care for the livestock and dogs. 

I save my freshly used grounds in a bucket with a lid that I keep under my kitchen sink. When the bucket is full, I mix the grounds into the soil around my blueberry bushes. Blueberry bushes are an acid-loving plant and our soil is high in alkaline. I have to amend the soil with SOMETHING to boost its acidity, so I treat my plants to hardy serving of coffee grounds about once a month.


Read about the myriad of ways coffee grounds can be a blessing to your homestead. You don't need to be a coffee drinker to reap the benefits of reusing coffee grounds around your homestead. Ask your family, friends, and neighbors to save their grounds for you.


Photo credit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment